Monday, May 18, 2009

Calvin

today I went to my interview at the hospital with the infectious disease department and the lady i was suppose to meet was sick today.I guess that is one of the risks of working in a department that deals with infectious diseases. Anyways on my way down the elevator I was riding with a man in his late fifties who was mentally challenged. I decided to engage him in conversation because he just seemed to have a glow to his smile and was excited about life. I stuck my hand out to introduce myself at about the third floor and ended locked into that handshake until he got off the elevator at the ground level. On the way down the hall I heard him tell the lady " that girl's name was Robyn, like the bird, she was a pretty bird." Although a three story handshake is quite uncomfortable, I very much enjoyed my encounter with Calvin. It seems like every time I set out to show kindness to someone else I leave the situation with such a great reward. To be able to share in a moment of that mans joy was the highlight of my morning.

1 comment:

allye said...

this is so awesome.