Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Earthquake in Haiti.






Tuesday January 12th is a day I will not soon forget.

It was the second day of the last semester of my college career but more importantly it was the day an earthquake of 7.0 magnitude shook Haiti and my heart to the core. I first caught wind of the earthquake through a voicemail my dad left me. I immediately made a quick call to Jen at hope for the Hungry... no answer. I then thought it was probably nothing but a small earthquake and left it at that. I continued on with my day and received a text message from Stephanie that read "EARTHQUAKE in Haiti. No word from Jean Alix. Pray for his family and the boys" The message shook me but I was at dinner in a public place. We made it back to the dorm and I turned to Tracie and told her I was sad and scared, I didn't know if my boys were okay. All I could do was picture the 32 little boys, especially the younger 15 all under the age of 10. I didn't know if they were just scared, if they were hurt, and I couldn't even let my mind wander far enough to think they might be dead, even though that was a very real possibility. Tracie hugged me and I just began to break down and cry...hard. Tracie, Meghan, Maddie, and Robyn stood around while Tracie prayed for the boys. The boys I love as if they were my own. Then after that I just stood and talked to Robyn.

Later I got a phone call from my mom asking if I heard about Haiti. I told her I had heard about the situation but we had not heard from Jean Alix yet. Immediately after hanging up the phone I received word that they were okay. yay! I was so relieved. I told everyone who was praying for them and they also were very excited to know the boys were okay.

Shortly after that I finally had gotten enough bravery to pull up the news and see with my own eyes how bad the damage really was. I saw picture and I read story after story and my heart began to break all over again. The situation is a tragedy not easily fixed.

I want to go. I want to help.

Missions is a passion God has laid on my heart. He didn't say go when it is conveniently planned for you. He said go. The truth is though I am not strong or medically knowledgeable so I may not be much help.

I want to go. and if I can I will.

They need help right now though. All I can do right now is give. So I will give. and I ask you to do the same. $1, $2, $25, $200
Here are a few good organizations to donate through:

Hope for the Hungry
https://www.causes.com/fb/donations/new?ts=1263439384&campaign_id=83074&cause_id=109803

Compassion International

World Vision

No comments: