I think this kind of adds to what I had to say yesterday. Over the last couple of days I have been involved in a discussion about first all ways to connect with the different generation of our church and secondly, who the church is and what we are called to be. I think I will take this time to share my opinion. I believe the church is supposed to be a community. (I’m going to make a blanket statement; if this is not you I’m sorry for throwing you into this statement) As Bible belt Christians in America we often get caught up with “running” the church. But here is the thing the church has never been something intended to be run. Here is a portion of my contribution to the conversation I was having with fellow members of the church I attend.
“The church isn’t defined by service, building, or anything else for that matter. I think that it is important and key that we remember what the church is and what we are called to be. The church is supposed to be Christ to their community providing for them in any way that we can (even when it is uncomfortable or we have to give more than we think we have). It is when we get so caught with what is going on inside our buildings that we lose sight of our call. That is why I think it is SO important that we take part in the opportunities provided for us to meet as the body united. Like Sunday night service, fellowship like the fish fry and service opportunities like providing services for the homebound elderly of our church. Through service to our fellow believers and the community at large we are being the church not by going to a service on and Sunday morning or meeting with Sunday school group after, although there is a time for that. It is only when we sit down and examine our own live, figure out who God has called us to be, and act on that can we be most effective at being an example of Christ and therefore being the church. In hopes that by doing so the lost world witnesses the radical way that we choose to live our lives by putting others first that they may be drawn in and realize their need for our savior who brings much hope, mercy, and grace. And really that’s what it is all about anyways right? (btw all that is just as much or not more of a reminder to me than anyone else who just read that)”
I am so glad that I have been able to take part in this conversation over the week. I have been able to really search and figure out why I do get up every Sunday morning, do things within the church, and things of that sort. So maybe I am not necessarily challenged by the message every week but it is still so important for me to be there. It is a time to grow with believers and get to know them. So I am going to try to take better advantage of the opportunities that are currently in front me. It’s just part of the wrestle. The wrestle to draw closer to Christ a wrestle that I will be in until I take my last breathe.
No comments:
Post a Comment