
I don't have culture shock in third world countries like others do. Instead what happens is when I see a new culture , like Haiti for example, I see how they have barely any material possession but that they have strength, passion, love, and know God more intimately than anyone I know in America. The boys in Guibert they have lost so much but they still hold strong to the fact God is good because he brought them to the orphanage to be cared for. I struggle to know that God is good in my abundance and they know this truth like the back of their hand.
Most of the time my guilt doesn't come from the learning about the little they have but rather realizing how the abundance we live in is putting blinders on my nation. I feel sad for how poor America is, not financially, but spiritually. Oh to know God and experience him like the Haitians.
I have so little to offer them but they always give me so much. They challenge me to live my life and relate to God more like they do. I love Haiti. I love the boys.
No comments:
Post a Comment