Brooke and I joke all the time when good things happen to me that is just the way my life goes and i just get good things.
Well here is the latest event: I really want to work at Communities in Schools when I graduate and I think it would be the perfect fit. A couple weeks ago I emailed the executive director of the program the following:
Ms. Mary Barr,
Hello my name is Robyn Allison and I am a senior social work student at the University of Mary Hardin- Baylor. I have been interested in Communities in Schools since the day I heard about the program. I have just spent time reading over your website and I am now even more interested. Last Spring while signing up for field placements I choose your program as my top choice, but was not choosen to interview with you. I am currently interning at Scott and White for my school requirements, but I do not have internship hours on Fridays. I would love to sit down with you and talk about the possibility of me shadowing and helping in one of your schools. I would love to become familiar with the program because I plan on applying during the spring to hopefully work with communities in schools after graduation. Please let me know if this is a possibility. Thank you so much for you time and consideration.
Thanks,
Robyn Allison
Well anyways I heard back from her secretary today and ended up setting up a meeting with the executive director. So I was talking to Brooke and telling her about all this and I said "how cool would it be if I had a job lined up for after graduation before next semester even starts" and she replied " I wouldn't be surprised". Then we kinda looked at each other and said "and so is my (your) life."
The more I thought about it though the more I know in all honesty this isn't true. This is from God. and even if it doesn't end the way I want it to its from God still. In light of this situation I have been thinking about opportunities he has given me and the bravery to say yes when I had no idea why.
Here is my timeline:
Junior year of High School: I sat down with my headmaster ( i know that sounds all harry potter) to work out my schedule and she told me she had a special project for me that she felt was just right for me. She placed me as a teacher's assistant in a Kindergarten PE class. I loved it! I had no idea how much I loved interacting with kids or how good I was at it until that year.
Freshman Year of College:
- I had a lot of extra time and nothing to do so Steph help me find somewhere to volunteer. I went weekly to a homeless shelter and befriended the local residents. I felt immensely under-equipped for the position but I went faithfully and learned throughout the whole experience (I did not realize how valuable this was for my social work training until this week)
- God made me uncomfortable in my sunday school class and lead me to teach sunday school in the preschool department (which I still do) furthering my experience with children.
-I was given the opportunity to go on my first international mission trip and was encouraged to be missional minded at home too.
Sophomore Year
- For no clear reason I felt stirred by God, totally out of my comfort zone, to apply for chaplain in SGA and I got the position. I learned about formal meetings and got my first taste of program planning.
- Also blindly following God's lead I applied for the RA position at Burt. This opportunity has been invaluable. I have learned a lot about team dynamics, programming, making weekly check-ins w/ residents (clients in SW world), documenting progress/ concerns, finding resources for my girls, and most importantly making great friends.
- I also had the opportunity to go to Haiti for SB and 5 weeks in the summer this year. This experience has changed my life and left me aching to see my boys constantly. I learned about children during this time too and how to work with different cultures. I also learned to love and care for children more deeply during this time.
-Matthew was also born this year. (just thought I would mention it)
Junior Year
-RA learning experience
_ Worked with children in Atlanta over a mission trip
- Had the opportunity to babysit Rowan and Tolis and experience day to day life with kids and get insight on home life
- Got to go back to Haiti
-Travelled to Europe and got to grow my knowledge about other cultures
Senior Year
- My internship has been so great I have learned more than I probably realize.
- Be Transformed bible study has given me insight into my life and helped me to better connect with God which has changed my life and better prepared me for the future.
All these events and SO much more has prepare me to be able to stand at this open door confidently knowing that God worked it out for me. He has given me both the opportunities and the bravery to say yes when they arise.
So its not just my luck.
*******disclaimer: I think sometimes things don't come easy and God tells you to wait on Him and God is just as much in the closed door as he is in the open door.****
1 comment:
Well said. I hope you know that I am joking :) I see God doing big things in your life friend! I am so excited for you!
Post a Comment