Saturday, September 18, 2010

I don't want to be the judge.

I have spent the last eight years of my life I have lived in a Christian bubble. In high school I went to a private christian school and in college I went to a private Christian university. Well now I am in the real world and have had a major struggle. I know what I believe and have no intentions of straying from it. The hard part is sharing my beliefs with others and not having them think I am judging them because that is not my intentions at all. Actually any time my beliefs have come up they were brought up by the other person in the conversation.


Lets just take the topic of sex for example. At my last job I talked about sex with a majority of the people I worked with. It was never a vulgar conversation and it was never brought up by me. The first set of people I had this talk with were shocked that anyone could ever be a virgin at my age. They asked me all sorts of questions and never thought I was judging them. It was a bizarre conversation but they were actually impressed and told me they admired me.

The second conversation about sex, I don't recall how it came up, but when that person knew that I had never had sex he kept telling me he was ashamed of himself, felt inadequate around me, or felt like I may be judging him. I told him over and over that I was not judging him. The whole time I was not judging or condemning him. I really wanted to encourage him and help him but did not know how to do that without watering down the truth or alienating him.

So here is my conundrum how do you be loving and accepting of a person and still speak truth in their lives when that truth speaks against their actions?

No comments: